As I am 23 today, I figured this blog post would be perfect! Although, it has now hit me I am closer to 25 than to 20! Despite some of the downsides, being 22 wasn’t all that bad. One being that I finally had the confidence to start my own blog, and I’m honestly grateful for every single one of you that read, comment or like any of my posts!
In this post, I will attempt to share whatever amount of wisdom I have gained throughout my 23 years of life – I’m sure there are many more I could talk about, but these things are the main things I feel I have learnt and will follow me into later life.
1. You are the only person judging you – you are your biggest critic. Try and cut yourself some slack: everything will be okay.
2. It’s not about you – we all have a purpose and there is a plan for your life. Both pride and selfishness are easy traps to fall into but its easy to notice how toxic, hurtful and unproductive they are.
3. Remember you do not know everything about a person’s life – everyone is fighting their own battles. Don’t jump to conclusions and be sensitive. Make sure you check in on people regularly, you might just make a difference, and it could be what they need.
4. In order to be happy, you need to learn to let go – you don’t have to forgive or agree, but you do need to accept that you can’t do anything about certain things, just move on.
5. You have to work for what you want – both big and small, if you’re not happy then you need to take action or nothing will change, your happiness is for you to decide, and no dream is too big, work hard and you will be rewarded.
6. Don’t let people tell you what to do – you need to stand up for yourself. The way you let people treat you will reflect how you see yourself.
7. Let them know – if you have people you care about, let them know just how important they are to you. Don’t ever take them for granted, they won’t be around forever.
8. Never fight for people – if you feel your friends aren’t making an effort, then they’re not your friend. Effort should be both ways – if you find that they aren’t reaching out to you, or only message you when it involves them, cut them off.
9. Things will happen that you have no control over – as you get older, you will learn to handle things better, or accept that things can’t be changed, but you can accept that it’s happened for a reason.
10. Your circle will get smaller – quality over quantity, always. You will begin to learn who you can and cannot trust.
11. Speak up – you will realise that if you feel like something needs to be said, then say it! It’s better to air things then let it eat away at you.
12. Talk about things more – as you get older, you don’t feel as embarrassed/ashamed to talk about things such as periods and sex! There is no shame and it should definitely be spoken about more.
13. Love your body – I seen a post that said “You are not alive just to pay bills and lose weight”. This spoke truth, your body is keeping you alive, so be grateful for that!
14. The older you get, the more you feel – one thing I have learnt is that as I’m now older, I choose comfort over anything. If it’s chilly? Wear a coat. Going out? Flats all the way. Tired? Often in bed by 7pm.
15. Happiness is a way of life – it isn’t just an emotion as you can choose to be happy. Try and choose happiness next time you’re thinking negatively.
16. Stop apologising – stop apologising for anything and everything. If you’ve done something wrong, then sure, say it – but otherwise, don’t say it just for the sake of it.
17. Appreciate where you are – its always easy to try and compare where you used to be and where you are now, but nothing happens over night. Things take time and realise you have come so far already.
18. It’s ok to not know what you’re doing – 23 is still young, there is no time limit on what you are doing. Plans change and thats ok too.
19. Step out of your comfort zone and do things that scare you – By scare you, I don’t mean throw yourself out of an aeroplane if you’re absolutely terrified of heights, but challenge yourself once in a while. You may feel nervous beforehand, but its better a ‘oh well’ than a ‘what if’!
20. Don’t change for anyone – you may think its important to be like other people, but it’ll only be worse for you! Never lose who you are when trying to fit in with others.
21. Confidence will come with age – Confidence comes in all different ways, you will realise what you are comfortable with, and you will grow.
22. Do things while you’re young – if you want to do something and you want to, then say yes! You will only regret the things you didn’t do.
23. Follow your dreams – NOTHING is out of reach if you’re prepared to work for it. Your dreams will become reality!
I really hope while you read this you were able to relate to a couple! Let me know something you have learnt that will follow you through life!