lifestyle

My Contraceptive Story | Part 2

March 8, 2019

In November, I shared my story about contraception. I received so many messages on Instagram of others who have made the change onto the implant – 90% were positive, although there were some people who haven’t had very good experiances.

Notably, the pro’s definitely outweigh the con’s but I was curious as to whether I would have any side effects myself – one of the main con’s was that it could interfere with your periods – they can either become irregular or become heavier, lucky, since I have had the implant fitted, I haven’t had ANY signs of a period what so ever!

Another pretty high side effect was getting headaches – as I have suffered with headaches/migraines for many years, I didn’t think much of this, but, if I am being completely honest, I think I have only had about 2/3 migraines since I’ve been on the implant – I no longer just have ‘standard headaches’, and i would like to think that its because of the implant.

I also took aftercare seriously – I had no infection and my arm healed SO well – every so often, I like to feel my arm, just to check it is still in place (I don’t think this will ever not freak me out), but I feel much better knowing I can still feel it.

Finally, one of the only struggles I have (3 months on) is trying to lose the weight I gained from the depo injection and a mixture of my medication, but I have been consciously trying to make small changes – I feel as the weather gets better it will encourage me more, and now I am working, I have no excuse to sit and eat ‘because I’m bored’.

I honestly believe that since going on the implant, it has been the best decision I have made for myself – I am covered for 3 years and don’t have to worry about anything.

If you are thinking about starting contraception or changing onto the implant, then make an appointment with your local nurse – they will honestly give you the best advice and tell you whether it is the best decision for you or not! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me!

sarahtrademark
    March 9, 2019 at 9:54 pm

I’m on my third implant now! Xx

Sophie
      March 10, 2019 at 3:15 pm

So happy you’ve been able to have it more than once, shows it must be working 🙂 X

Jenny in Neverland
    March 10, 2019 at 12:05 pm

I’m currently on the mini pill and it’s worked perfectly for me so far but my main side effect which has been ongoing for years is skin issues. I can’t find a way around it either!
    Jenny

Sophie
      March 10, 2019 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, it really gave me bad skin too – since being on the implant, I hardly have any breakouts and my skin is generally much better x

🌸 AlishaValerie. (@AlishaValerie)
    March 10, 2019 at 2:42 pm

I love how honest and open you have been in these blog posts lovely. After having two miscarriages the hospital has realised that I’m sadly not able to have children of my own so I love it when people are brave enough to speak out sharing their contraceptive stories. 🌻💜
    With love, Alisha Valerie x | http://www.alishavalerie.com

Sophie
      March 10, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Thank you so much – I’m so sorry to hear that, sometimes things happen for a reason but that doesn’t mean you don’t have other options in the future if you do want children 🙂 if you ever need to chat, feel free to inbox me x

Hanna
    March 12, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Loving your blog hun! I’ve recently gone on the implant too and it’s honestly so easy compared to the pill 😝

Sophie
      March 23, 2019 at 7:20 pm

Thank you so much! I completely agree, it’s been the best option for me x